Sunday, August 25, 2013

How to pick location/ frequency

Before you make an antenna, pick out the place that you will put it. The most important thing to remember about FM, is that it works best with Line Of Sight, meaning the more obstacles you have between you and the antenna, the faster the signal will degrade. With that in mind, choosing the optimal placement for your antenna is quiet simple. Anywhere with a good view of the surrounding area will suffice. I live on the side of a hill overlooking a valley, so I out my antenna on my chimney. With a commanding view of the valley, I get strong reception through out the area. If you live in an apartment, The roof of the complex is the perfect place for the antenna. If you cant put it on your house, anywhere with access to power will work. Try putting the antenna on a tree in near your living area. 

Now that you have a location for your antenna, chose a frequency. This tool  shows a list of unused frequency's in the area around you. Try to pick the one with the least signal pollution. Once you have it, run over to my post about how to make your antenna. 

No comments:

Post a Comment